Are you struggling with knee pain? New Hampshire Orthopaedic Center offers a new non-surgical treatment that provides immediate, long-lasting non-opioid pain relief.
iovera° has been cleared by the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) to treat:
- Chronic knee pain from osteoarthritis
- Peripheral nerve pain
- Post-op pain from partial and total knee replacement
You may also benefit from iovera° if:
- You’re having total knee replacement surgery: iovera° is an excellent way to manage pain after surgery. Studies show it reduces pain and the need for opioid pain medications.
- You can’t or don’t want to have surgery: iovera° can reduce pain in people who can’t have surgery or prefer non-surgical pain management as a long-term solution. Studies show that iovera° can relieve pain for up to 90 days or more. It’s important to note that iovera° does not treat the underlying condition causing pain.
How does iovera° work?
Sensory nerves transmit pain signals to the brain. In response, the affected body part protects itself from pain by limiting function, which disrupts your normal daily activities.
iovera° is a type of cold therapy (cryotherapy). It blocks pain signals from sensory nerves by delivering controlled doses of extreme cold to the affected nerves. The nerves are temporarily destroyed, but the surrounding tissue is not damaged.
Your doctor uses a small handheld device with a needle probe on the end to deliver the cold therapy. They numb your skin with local anesthesia and insert the probe into the treatment area. Then they apply the cryotherapy to specific nerves until the pain is blocked.
The minimally invasive procedure only takes about 15 to 30 minutes for each area treated, and you can return to your daily routine immediately after treatment.
What are the benefits of iovera° cryotherapy?
You experience immediate pain relief for up to 90 days – about the time it takes for the nerves to regenerate. Nothing is injected into your body, and there are no incisions or stitches involved.
For chronic knee pain, studies show that patients have:
- Decreased knee pain for 90 days or more
- Less stiffness 30 days after treatment
- Improved mobility after 90 days
For acute (postsurgical) knee pain, patients benefit from:
- Less pain after surgery
- Fewer opioid prescriptions needed
- Faster discharge, typically within two days of surgery
iovera° cryotherapy can also be used before surgery to help you participate in prehabilitation exercises. And by decreasing pain after surgery, iovera° helps you make the most of postsurgical rehabilitation.
Find out if iovera° is right for you. Call 603.883.0091 today to make an appointment with one of our doctors at New Hampshire Orthopaedic Center, or fill out the contact form below.